If you don’t think you’re a fan of audiobooks, you probably haven’t explored the vast array of audio entertainment available these days. You could listen to the wild memoirs of your favorite rockstars, biographies of former presidents, thought-provoking essays, laugh-out-loud books by comedians, insightful personal finance guides, a fantasy series that makes the miles fly by, classic literature you’ve always meant to read, and so much more. You could listen to a book before watching the new movie adaptation or read the same book as your kid so you can discuss it together afterward. The options are truly endless! And as a truck driver, you have plenty of time to indulge in them all. To get started, you simply need to learn how to listen to audiobooks.
Getting Started with Audiobooks
One of the joys of being a truck driver is that you can listen to whatever you like as you drive. Maybe sometimes you like listening to music, podcasts, talk radio, or even just the sounds of the road, but if you haven’t tried audiobooks yet, you’re truly missing out. No matter which genre you prefer, you can find an enthralling audiobook to entertain you. And getting your hands on an audiobook is easier than you might think! If you’re wondering how to listen to audiobooks, start by visiting your local library.
Borrow Audiobooks for Free!
If you don’t already have a library card, now is the time to get one. Simply head to your local library (or visit their website) to learn how to apply. It’s typically exceedingly easy, and it’s always free. You’ll likely need an ID and proof of address. Once approved, you’ll have access to everything offered by your library, including audiobooks!
Different libraries use different apps to offer audiobooks, and some offer audiobooks on more than one app. Common apps include Libby and Hoopla. To get started, simply download the app (or both apps) and input your library card information to log in. If you have trouble with this, simply ask a librarian for help. Then, start browsing and borrowing! Review the following tips if you’re a newbie:
- You can place holds on popular audiobooks. When the audiobook becomes available, the app will notify you. You may have to wait a few weeks or months for the hottest, newest releases.
- Many items are available to borrow right away! So, if you’re looking for something to listen to ASAP, you won’t have any issues.
- You can tag items within the app so that you remember to borrow them in the future. When you have some free time, browse the selection and tag items so that you’re ready to go on the road.
- Your library will have a limit on the number of books you can check out, the number of holds you can place, and the checkout period. Make sure that you finish listening to a book before its checkout period ends.
- You may wish to download audiobooks from the app when you can access Wi-Fi so that you’re not streaming constantly and reliant on your phone’s internet connection.
- If you’re a member of multiple libraries, you can use both memberships to check out books on Libby and Hoopla. Simply add both library cards to your account.
Buy Audiobooks with Audible
The library is truly a treasure trove when it comes to audiobooks, but if a certain title you want is unavailable on Libby or Hoopla, or if you want a popular audiobook right away (and don’t want to be on a waitlist for months), Audible is a great way to purchase audiobooks. The basic subscription is $14.95 monthly, and you get to pick one new audiobook each month. You also have access to certain titles for free. And if you wish to purchase a book, you can typically get it for a discount. Start with a free trial to see if you like it!
That next stretch of highway will fly by if a thrilling audiobook has you on the edge of your seat. So, what are you waiting for? Take advantage of your local library to listen to free audiobooks today.
Hoping to become a truck driver? Contact BLC Transportation today. We have opportunities for both company drivers and lease-purchase drivers. With our lease-purchase program, you can make 90 percent of the line haul while driving new trucks that provide comfort, fuel efficiency, and reliability. Plus, we offer bonuses and incentives, a health insurance subsidy, a friendly passenger/pet policy, assistance with registering for an LLC, and more. Join our team today!